Museum Director Search
Rokeby Museum seeks qualified applicants for a Museum Director.
Rokeby Museum is a National Historic Landmark Underground Railroad site, located in Ferrisburgh, Vermont. Its historic house — fully furnished with 200 years of domestic belongings — provides an intimate glimpse into the remarkable Robinson family of farmers, abolitionists, artists, and authors. The site includes 90 acres, nine historic farm buildings, and a new 5,000 square foot Education Center with visitor facilities, a major award-winning permanent Underground Railroad exhibition, a gallery for changing exhibitions, and collections storage for extensive Robinson family print records and correspondence. Combined, these resources chronicle four generations, as they anticipated, experienced, and participated in the important events of American history.
Rokeby Museum has achieved honor and recognition far beyond the scope of its size — designation as a National Historic Landmark, merit-based funding from the Institute for Museum and Library Services and the National Endowment for the Humanities, and coverage in national media. The mission of the Museum is to connect visitors with the human experience of the Underground Railroad and with the lives of the Robinsons from 1793 to 1961. Rokeby Museum’s exhibits and programs explore topics focused on abolition, agriculture, and art and, guided by Rachel and Rowland Robinson’s commitment to speaking truth to power, serve to educate and inspire audiences of all ages by making connections to contemporary issues of social justice and culture.
Rokeby’s Director oversees all operations including exhibits, public and educational programs, collections care, and all matters relating to the museum’s property and facility. This includes all financial, personnel, and administrative dimensions of the Museum’s operation. The new director will continue the Museum’s wise stewardship of resources and expand its reach through increased visitation and an enlarged donor base. The position is currently 60%FTE.
- Attend to or delegate all daily tasks including correspondence and database management.
- Serve as primary liaison to the Board of Directors at bimonthly meetings, annual retreats, and on committees as assigned. This includes providing regular financial and administrative reports and preparing the annual budget.
- Oversee ongoing maintenance/preservation of all historic structures.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise two seasonal staff, live-in caretaker, and housekeeper.
- Recruit and train new volunteer tour guides annually in April–May; recruit volunteers for other tasks as needed.
- Develop, research, write, design (in collaboration with graphic designer), and install seasonal exhibit annually.
- Develop and coordinate seasonal calendar of public programs — about 10 annually.
- Schedule and facilitate education programs for schools.
- Manage museum collections. Respond to image and loan requests as needed.
- Coordinate all fundraising efforts, including annual fund mailing, grant writing and reporting, fundraising events, and the processing donations.
- Attend to financial aspects of the museum, including management of everyday expenses, tax documents, and records.
- Expand Group Tours outreach to bring more large tour groups to the museum each year.
- Work with Marketing Committee to draft annual marketing plan. Promote the museum through press outreach, annual calendars, social media, and newsletters.
- Bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, or related field. Master’s Degree and three (3) years of museum work experience, including administration, preferred.
- Training and/or experience in non-profit business management, marketing, and educational presentations.
- Enthusiasm for the position and commitment to the Museum’s mission.
- Excellence in writing promotional materials and grant applications.
- Creative curatorial and programming skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills in engagement with the staff, Board, volunteers, and the public.
Rokeby Museum is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to fostering diversity within our organization.
Download PDF of this listing here.
Submission deadline has passed and we are currently reviewing and interviewing candidates.